The Chalina Estate
Channelling the energy of its beautiful surroundings, Chalina Estate captures the true essence of Bali with its classic architecture, lush tropical gardens and rice-field views. The villa’s serene and peaceful riverside setting makes it the ultimate choice for weddings, retreats and large family groups. Fully staffed, and with six bedrooms plus two extra rooms sleeping up to 26 guests, a 35-metre swimming pool and lavish living areas, this exquisite villa exudes space and charm. Set among Canggu’s rice fields, just minutes from some excellent surf beaches, Chalina Estate offers incredible sunsets with glimpses of the mystical Batukaru volcano in the distance.
The villa manager at Chalina Estate will typically have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Invariably some of them will live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Bali life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of some of the activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- If you’ve always dreamed of galloping along a beach or riding through villages bordered by rice fields, now’s your chance. Bali Horse Adventure, located five minutes from the villa, can arrange horse riding tours, as well as children’s riding lessons and horse-drawn carriage outings.
- The most exclusive Bali trekking tour promises breath-taking vistas and heart-warming encounters while supporting sustainable social change in the once-forgotten villages of Muntigunung. Elite Havens is a proud partner of Muntigunung Community Social Enterprise.
- Catch a wave, or several, at some of Bali’s best surfing beaches, all within easy access. Pererenan Beach is just a 300m stroll or motorbike ride away. Along this stretch of naturally beautiful beaches, Echo Beach, under ten minutes by car, is the most famed surfers haunt, but all are in prime position for Bali’s legendary sunsets.
- On Canggu Beach, be sure to visit mystical Hotel Tugu Bali. Bali’s first museum/hotel is studded with priceless Indonesian artworks and antiques and its award-winning spa offers age-old Eastern therapies. If you’re planning a honeymoon, this makes a wonderful first night venue before continuing on with your villa stay.
- Make the de rigueur pilgrimage to sacred Pura Tanah Lot (8km), one of Bali’s biggest tourist magnets. Perched high on a craggy, wave-lashed rock, this ancient sea temple is best savoured at sunset; be sure to receive a blessing from the Hindu priests.
- Fashionistas, trendies and shop-a-holics should hot-foot it down to Bali’s most cosmopolitan enclave, Seminyak. Here, you can indulge for hours in the glut of stylish, global-inspired restaurants, chic boutiques and hipper-than-thou bars – including much hyped, Ku Dé Ta, on Seminyak beachfront.
- Drive westwards to explore the unchartered West Bali region, where the charming Tabanan Regency reveals terraced rice fields of emerald green, volcanic mountains and black-sand beaches dotted with fishing communities – treasures that Bali is famed for.
- For a day of culture and dramatic landscapes, drive directly north from the villa to the mountain town of Bedugul. From here, explore three volcanic lakes, including Bratan, with its photogenic and stunningly positioned Pura Ulun Danu – one of Bali’s most important temples.
- Covering 3.8 hectares of tropical parkland in Kuta, Waterbom Bali has 16 water slides (including The Climax with its 360 degree loop) to entertain the young and the young at heart. A great family day out, but go early to beat the crowds.