Ocean-inspired Villa Anucara presents fresh white exteriors that echo the white-capped waves rolling onto Cemagi beach just 150 metres away. This pale palette also characterises the huge garden planted with snowy frangipani blossoms and sweetly scented jasmine and featuring a sunken poolside lounge and 35-metre swimming pool. Inside, white-furnishings are accented with splashes of blue and turquoise and tasteful time-worn artefacts. Five ensuite bedrooms include two masters with ocean views and three guest rooms in seculded garden pavilions. A full team of staff is on hand to look after every need with butler service and superb home cooking.
Your villa manager will typically have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Invariably some of them will live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Bali life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of Villa Anucara.
- The villa is close to the famous sea temple at Tanah Lot (9 km). Although renowned for its sunset vistas, going early in the morning provides a better idea of the power of the location and the chance to see it undisturbed, apart from perhaps an offering ceremony.
- A nice sunset alternative is to head down to Echo Beach (11km) where a number of cafes offer good sunset views and cold beer. Hotel Tugu, a very stylish and eclectic boutique hotel a few minutes further down the coast is also a good sunset spot. Note that the beach along this section of the coast is dark volcanic sand and the waters are better suited to surfing than swimming.
- Fashionistas, trendies shop-a-holics and foodies should hot-foot it down to Seminyak, Bali’s most cosmopolitan enclave. Here, you can indulge for hours in the glut of stylish, chic boutiques and international restaurants and bars including, Potato Head Beach club, La Lucciola and Bali’s infamously trendy Ku Dé Ta. For furniture, antiques and homeware stores go for a wander around the streets of nearby Kerobokan.
- Drive westwards to explore the charming Tabanan Regency, revealing terraced rice fields of emerald green, volcanic mountains and black-sand beaches dotted with fishing communities. Or head north to explore the volcanic lakes near the mountain town of Bedugul, including Lake Bratan with its photogenic and stunningly positioned Pura Ulun Danu – one of Bali’s most important temples.
- Colourful processions to the beachside Hindu temple at the neighbouring village of Seseh (1km walk along the beach) are frequent. On special festival days, thousands of devout Hindus wearing ceremonial dress will converge on this important temple to perform cleansing rituals beside the ocean.
- Explore the scenic rice-field landscape and rural villages by bicycle; a great way to get under the skin of the ‘real’ Bali. Stop off at a local warung (café) to sample some basic Balinese fare or cool off with a cold drink.
- With its warm seas, almost year-round season, relatively uncrowded beach and reef breaks and suitability for all levels of experience, Bali surfing is world renowned. Canggu (11km) is known for its world-class surf breaks, offering an exposed reef break with consistent surf. May to October (dry season) is the favoured time for waves. Reef breaks provide lefts and rights—in fact, Canggu presents one of the few right-hand waves on the west coast of Bali.
- If you are a bold and brave bargain hunter, a spree within the heart of Bali’s bustling provincial capital is an exciting and rewarding experience. Visit the vibrant Denpasar markets, where everything and anything is available.
- Explore Bali’s backroads, lakes, volcanoes, forests and beaches on the back of a Harley Davidson bike with Island Biker Tours. Full day Harley tour, customised tours or shorter joy rides can all be accommodated.
- Pulau Dive Charters offers luxury boat charters around the beautiful islands and waters surrounding Bali. They specialise in private fishing, surfing and diving charters and also offer unique personalised day trips to Nusa Lembongan. Perfect for a family day out on the water or with a group of friends.