Hidden down a secluded lane in the heart of bustling Seminyak, lies the elegant Villa Shambala. This enviable location is within walking distance of many of Bali’s top restaurants, boutiques and art galleries, and just 300 metres from the sweeping Oberoi beach, famous for its world-class surf breaks and legendary sunsets.
The villa’s location comes with no sacrifice to privacy. Once over the threshold you are immediately transported to a tropical garden paradise; a world of relaxation and indulgence. With five bedrooms and a 20-metre pool, fully staffed Villa Shambala seamlessly integrates the contemporary and the traditional to give a true luxury Balinese experience.
The villa manager will typically have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Invariably some of them will live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Bali life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Sports enthusiasts should head to Bali’s prestigious Finns Recreation Club, fifteen minutes away, with its state-of-the-art gym, tennis and squash centre. Round off your workouts with some fine international dining, then stock up on gourmet goodies at the nearby Canggu Deli.
- Catch a wave, or several, at some of Bali’s best surfing beaches, only ten to fifteen minutes away. Among the string of naturally beautiful beaches, don’t miss long-time surfers haunt, Echo Beach – but all are in prime position for Bali’s legendary sunsets.
- On Canggu Beach, be sure to visit mystical Hotel Tugu Bali. Listed in the Robb Report (the World’s Best of the Best), Bali’s first museum-hotel is studded with priceless Indonesian artworks and antiques. The boutique hotel’s award-winning spa offers age-old Eastern therapies.
- Make the de rigueur pilgrimage to sacred Pura Tanah Lot, one of Bali’s biggest tourist magnets. Perched high on a craggy wave-lashed rock, this ancient sea temple is most popular at sunset, but we suggest guests go early morning to enjoy the location in peace!
- Fashionistas and shop-a-holics should hotfoot it down to Bali’s most cosmopolitan enclave, Seminyak. From Villa Shambala, guests are minutes away from stylish, global-inspired restaurants – such as Sarong and Métis, chic boutiques and hipper-than-thou bars on Seminyak beachfront.
- Drive west to explore the unchartered West Bali region, where the charming Tabanan Regency reveals terraced rice fields of emerald green, volcanic mountains and black sand beaches dotted with fishing communities – the treasures that Bali is famed for.
- For a day of culture and dramatic landscapes, head north to Mount Batukaru with its major temple and the nearby rice-fields of Jatiluwih, a UNESCO World Heritage sight; or to the mountain town of Bedugul. From here, explore three volcanic lakes, including Bratan, with its photogenic and stunningly positioned Pura Ulun Danu – one of Bali’s most important temples.
- Ubud, the cultural capital of Bali, is around an hour’s cross-country drive away. An easy day trip to admire the workshops and galleries and maybe watch one of the many dance performances in the early evening, or enjoy one of the many restaurants perched over gorges or rice-fields.
- Pulau Dive Charters offers luxury boat charters around the beautiful islands and waters surrounding Bali. They specialise in private fishing, surfing and diving charters and also offer unique personalised day trips to Nusa Lembongan. Perfect for a family day out on the water or with a group of friends.